With Superannuation Warehouse as your administrator, the audit service is all taken care of. We arrange it and pay for it. The cost of the audit is included in your monthly payments.
If you prefer, you can handle your SMSF’s accounting and tax yourself, and leave the audit to us. The fixed fee for the audit is $450. There’s a lower fee for simple SMSFs or for accountants. To prepare for the audit, complete this checklist. You can also download a template for accounts preparation, tax returns, Trustee minutes and other documents from our FREE DOWNLOADS section. For more info on audit requirements, see our Audit division website
SMSF compliance needs to be considered when the SMSF is being established and subsequently on an annual basis. Responsibilities include:
- Operating the SMSF within the rules of the Trust Deed
- Adhering to the Investment strategy
- Investing according to the Trust Deed
- Keeping records of membership details (and retaining records for a minimum of 5 years)
- SMSF Annual Tax Returns and lodgement with the ATO (and retaining records for a minimum of 5 years)
- Arranging the Audit
- Keeping accurate and accessible accounting records of the SMSF
- Preparing annual Financial Statements for the SMSF
- Preparing the minutes of Trustees meetings
- Paying the annual $180 Superannuation Supervisory Levy (was $150 in 2010) as part of the annual tax return
- Staying abreast of legislative changes relevant to SMSF compliance
Being a Trustee of an SMSF is a responsible position that can also be very rewarding, especially when you see your Superannuation balance grow.